VEHICULAR CRIMES UNIT
The Brooklyn District Attorney’s Vehicular Crimes Unit was the first comprehensive unit in New York City to provide guidance, expertise, and bring consistency in the prosecution of cases involving vehicular crimes. Over the years it has been a major goal of the unit to vigorously combat drunk, drugged, reckless driving and leaving the scene cases.
The Unit works in the following areas:
- Investigative Support: The Vehicular Crimes Unit provides assistance to the New York City Police Department on all vehicular crimes. In collisions involving death or serious physical injury, a member of the unit is on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to answer legal questions, obtain search warrants, to direct “Riding” assistants to take statements, interview witnesses, and make notifications for witnesses to appear before the Grand Jury.
- Trial Supervision: The Vehicular Crimes Unit seeks to provide expertise in the scientific, forensic and strategic aspects of cases. Whether a case is handled by a member of the Unit itself or by the designated assistants in each of the trial zones, guidance is provided at every step of the proceedings.
- Prevention: The Vehicular Crimes Unit created a program called “Choices and Consequences” to combat senseless deaths caused by reckless and drunk driving. The program is a joint effort between the Kings County District Attorney’s Office, the NYPD and the Department of Transportation (DOT). It is a 90 minute interactive presentation broken down into three segments: a power-point presentation related to drunk and reckless driving, a skit played out by students based upon a real life case, and speakers who have been sentenced to the program by the court.
Recent Press Releases:
- Drunk Driver Sentenced to Up to 15 Years in Prison For Killing Cyclist During Citywide Bike Tour
- Staten Island Woman Indicted for Reckless Manslaughter for Killing Two Children in Park Slope Intersection While Driving Despite Doctor’s Orders
- Motorist Whose Doctor Allegedly Told Him Not to Drive Because of Medical Condition Indicted for Manslaughter of Father in East Flatbush
- Hit-and-Run Driver Indicted for Leaving the Scene After Striking and Killing Popular Disc Jockey in East New York
- Hit-and-Run Driver Indicted for Recklessly Killing Cyclist in Williamsburg