FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, January 9, 2023
Serial Burglar Sentenced to up to Four Years in Prison for
Six Break-ins and One Attempted Break-in of Brooklyn Businesses
Stole Cash, Electronics and Other Items After Breaking In
Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez today announced that a Park Slope man has been sentenced to two to four years in prison for a string of commercial burglaries of Brooklyn businesses.
District Attorney Gonzalez said, “This defendant is a serial burglar who has shown that he will continue to invade other people’s property if he remains at large, necessitating this prison sentence. My Office is committed to protecting the safety and property of everyone living in Brooklyn and will continue to prosecute those who victimize our neighbors.”
The District Attorney identified the defendant as Charles Wold, 59, of Park Slope, Brooklyn. He was sentenced today by Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Evelyn LaPorte to six concurrent prison terms of two to four years following his guilty plea earlier on November 2, 2022 to six counts of third-degree burglary and one count of third-degree attempted burglary. The plea was over the objection of the District Attorney’s office, which asked for a sentence of nine to 18 years in prison.
The District Attorney said that, according to the investigation, the defendant’s actions resulted in physical damage to the businesses he targeted and loss of thousands of dollars in cash, cash registers, electronics and other items.
The District Attorney said that, according to the investigation, the incidents include the following:
• Simply Sweet, located at 2106A Avenue U, in Sheepshead Bay, on October 5, 2021.
• Hipster Deli, located at 168 7th Avenue, in Park Slope, on November 28, 2021.
• Park Slope Ale House, located at 356 6th Avenue, on December 7, 2021.
• Just Salad, 252 7th Avenue, in Park Slope, at approximately 12:40 a.m. on December 5, 2021.
• Tava Turkish and Mediterranean Restaurant, 318 5th Avenue, in Park Slope, at approximately 2:38 a.m., on December 5, 2021.
• 390 Social Bar and Restaurant, 390 5th Avenue, in Park Slope, at approximately 7:30 p.m. on December 30, 2021.
• Blue Collar Burger, 187 Court Street, in Cobble Hill, at approximately 12:14 a.m. on January 6, 2022.
The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant District Attorney Andrew Gruna, of the District Attorney’s Orange Zone Trial Bureau, under the supervision of Assistant District Attorney Danielle Eaddy, Bureau Chief.