All homicides that take place in Brooklyn are referred to the Homicide Bureau for review. Although the bureau refers certain cases to other bureaus for prosecution (such as those related to domestic violence or gangs), the Homicide Bureau itself investigates and prosecutes a large majority of the homicides, including many of Brooklyn’s most complex and high-profile murder cases. The bureau, which is comprised of some of the agency’s most experienced assistant district attorneys, also serves as legal adviser to the police in homicide cases.
Recent Press Releases:
- Sheepshead Bay Man Indicted for Fatally Stabbing Brooklyn Professor Inside Victim’s Basement in Prospect Park South
- Bedford-Stuyvesant Man Sentenced to 25 Years to Life in Prison for Fatally Shooting Neighbor Over Financial Dispute
- Two Alleged Gang Members Indicted for Drive-By Murder
- Brooklyn Man Sentenced to 18 Years in Prison for Shooting a Man During Alleged Revenge Killing in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- Brownsville Man Sentenced to 23 Years in Prison for Shooting Innocent Man in Fort Greene