All homicides that take place in Brooklyn are referred to the Homicide Bureau for review. Although the bureau refers certain cases to other bureaus for prosecution (such as those related to domestic violence or gangs), the Homicide Bureau itself investigates and prosecutes a large majority of the homicides, including many of Brooklyn’s most complex and high-profile murder cases. The bureau, which is comprised of some of the agency’s most experienced assistant district attorneys, also serves as legal adviser to the police in homicide cases.
Recent Press Releases:
- Brooklyn Man Sentenced to 20 Years in Prison for Fatally Stabbing His Ex-Wife’s Girlfriend
- Three Gang Members Sentenced in Connection with the Shooting Death of Carey Gabay During J’ouvert Celebration in 2015
- Man Convicted of 2004 Cold Case Murder Of 17-Year-Old Bushwick Girl
- East New York Man Sentenced to 22 Years to Life in Prison for Fatally Shooting Man and Wounding Another During Botched Robbery
- Brownsville Woman Sentenced to 18 Years in Prison for Fatally Stabbing Romantic Rival